Thursday, October 8, 2015

soggy O's and sleepy babies

So far the major difference between Teddy's newbornhood and Oliver's newbornhood is that I haven't once googled, "newborn baby sleep too much."  I've simply decided to enjoy this period of time where the baby sleeps 22 out of 24 hours a day, because I know it won't last!  It seems like an auspicious start, as this is exactly how Teddy was and Teddy was and is an incredibly good sleeper.  The only difference is that Teddy was a very good eater and I have a hard time keeping Oliver awake long enough to finish his bottle.  One ounce every hour isn't going to cut it, bud.

I sit here typing while Oliver naps and Teddy eats Cheerios.  He asks for more, "choes" or "joes" even though he still has a handful left on the table.  He notices my camera cord and tries to pull it.  I say, "No, no," and his little face crumples and his mouth opens wide in despair, letting forth a cry muffled by at least thirty Cheerios.  There are so many Cheerios, soggy little O's start falling from his gaping maw.  It's very hard to keep my composure at this point.  I'm trying to stay stern while also trying not to bust a stitch laughing.

Earlier today I gave Oliver to Ed while I worked on adding him to my health insurance.  He proceeded to spew a mind-boggling amount of milk all over the place.  I think it was the sum total of all the milk he'd been fed in his life.

Our "system" that we've developed for night feedings has been working very well.  Last night we went to bed at 10:30.  I got up to feed Oliver at a little after 12, then Ed fed him at 3, and I fed him at 7. That was as much sleep as I got before Oliver was born.  I'm sure he's going to have some bad nights, but if the majority go like this, it will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment