Saturday, February 15, 2014

shingles. not the cool kind.

Can you see the stress in my eyes?
Shingles?  Seriously?  Apparently the varicella virus in all of it's associated forms seriously hates me.  I'm told that I had chicken pox when I was a baby, but of course, being a baby I, 1.) don't remember and 2.) had a crappy immune system that didn't build an effective immune response to the virus.  I then developed shingles when I was six years old.  I don't remember this either, but that's what the doctor apparently diagnosed.  My first grade teacher insinuated that I must have something horrible going on in my life to be so stressed as to get shingles as a six year old.  The only stressful thing I remember was wearing a leotard and tights in dance class for the first time.  I mean, yeah, six year old dancers are hard core, especially when dancing to "Bee my Little Baby Bumblebee."  Two years later I contracted chicken pox again.  THIS time I remember it clearly.  Itchy as all get out and I still have the scars to prove it.

*Aside* As a person who picks things, i.e. cuticles and scabs and what-not, chicken pox is the WORST thing you can possibly have.  Hence the scarring.

Now, sixteen weeks pregnant and my body, instead of getting prepared with all the previous miscarriages and learning about handling stress in general, flips the blank out and wakes up my dormant inner-shingles virus.  For real?  So the nausea abates ever so slightly and now my back is on fire, so much so that I rub against the corner of the wall like a freaking bear in order to scratch it.

I can't wait to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment